Friday, November 28, 2008

Thanksgiving.

I went to visit a relative with my mother on thanksgiving. We were dropping off food and just.. saying hi. I hadn't seen her for a very long time, don't usually like visiting relatives I don't feel very close to.

My mom and I walked into her room to find her covered in a warm blanket sitting on a chair with huge headphones on her head while watching tv. She's pretty hard of hearing. You have to talk in a very loud voice for her to hear you.

She saw me, so shocked as to how "tall" I had grown and I extended my hand to help her get up from her chair. She took it, and we walked back towards the kitchen.

She was so fragile, this tiny old woman. She was as tall as my shoulder. Walked slowly with careful steps.
While we all stood there talking with her son and my mom, she put her arm around me. She was so happy to see me and kept holding me tightly on the arm or giving me hugs.

After our brief visit, she walked us out to our cars. She looked so happy to see us. She again, continued to say how big I got and she was just.. so cute. She gave me multiple hugs again and I was about to leave, but I walked over to her to give her just one last hug. We got in the car and she walked back into the house.

While in the car, I asked my mom how we were related to her. I always forget because of how big our family is. She said that she is my grandfather's sister.

My grandfather lives in Paris.
She lives here.
They are both so old.
I couldn't help but think, will they ever see each other again?
Will I ever get to see her again? Afterall, I only see her once a year or every other year. It's been practically 3 years until yesterday.
Will I ever get to see my grandpa again?

I started to cry. It was so sudden, but I just couldn't hold it in. I couldn't bear to believe that they may never see each other again, a brother and a sister.
My mom was taken aback by my crying. She just said, "It's what I've been trying to tell you all along, Mai-Thi. You must remember to create and have good relationships with your family members. It's important."


Just... makes me feel thankful for having the people that I have in my life
and I should really cherish the moments I have with them.
Because one day I won't be able to anymore.
Sounds morbid, but... only makes you appreciate your loved ones even more.

Crying now as I write this. Can't.. handle.. the thought of separation.. in the worst possible way you can be separated from someone.

P.S. Sorry I can't tell you how much I love you, or hug you, or kiss you on the cheek like other daughers do. I'm sorry I don't say thank you enough. I'm sorry I don't tell you about my day in details because I find it annoying to have to explain everything to you. I'm sorry I can't say this to your face because I would just feel awkward. I love you no matter how much I don't say it.

1 comment:

x said...

this was beautiful. this is SO how i would have written my college essay... if i could have pulled it off. it's beautiful<3 and i love you mai-thi pham!!!!! don't forget it. in fact, you should probably save this blog. just in case you need to remind yourself. yaknowyaknow :)